Was this really the first Watertown train depot? And it’s still there?!
Constructed in 1851, the stone building on Newell street was apparently the first Watertown train depot. Its location, at once busy intersection of Newell (River) and Court Streets, and along the train tracks would have made it an ideal location at the time. Note, the tracks moving down Court Street and over the bridge were for the trolleys.
In later years, the building would be home to Weldon and Weldon feed store as shown in the photo. Today, the building still stands and has been used intermittently over years but is currently vacant as of 2021.